perjantai 5. marraskuuta 2010

There is no end for disasters

The other half of my research team took me to a large market here near my hotel. I have never seen such a big market, stalls after stalls the most beautiful clothes, hair scarfs, jillbabs. Women hear really dress and decorative. Espcially today, since today was the day when you go to the mosque (mesjid, a bigger mosque). However, we worked today, since the Andalas University works on Fridays, except for morning they go to mosque.

I opened my tv on Metro TV this morning. Breaking news shows me photos of vulcano eruption. This is nothing new - I have been here one and a half weeks now and it feels like there is always a calamity going on. The whole world probably has seen the same shots on their tvs or internet news - lava flows, ashes like snow on windshields, people running in front of the lava flow. I reported my mother right away that Merapi is far away from Padang, actually it is in Central Java, while I am in West Sumatra, on a different island. Here the day was most beautiful an bright - actually the prettiest so far as I have been here. Most of the time it has been raining. Hujan (in Indonesian rain).

I amuse people with Indonesian words and sentences. I know now to tell about my family, children, and their ages. And of course, I tell I tinggal di Finlandia. If I say I am from Finland, they always think I am from England. Finlandia needs no corrections.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti