maanantai 15. marraskuuta 2010

Memories

This is the seat at Padang water front where I used to sit and have my green coconut, buko. I got to know the lady who sells them. Waterfront has plastic chairs like this with bright colors - orange, red. The other regular place of mine was a street kitchen, actually it was a furniture store but turned into street kitchen in the evenings. Soup called Gado-Gado was my favorite, with mango shake.
This morning I walked through this waterfront, checking that everything was okay before I leave. One fisherman who has a small boat, has been fixing it over there two weeks that I have been working here. This morning it was almost ready to go out - painted red. It has also possibility of having a sail. But the boat is very narrow.

Morning at the street you hear very often 'mie mie' - usually it a man carrying a big container on his head - rice seller. Street wipers were busy this morning - it was drizzling a bit, so it was a perfect condition to wipe off the dust and rubbish to the piles.

Goodbyes to the other half of research team - we talked about needing some more village interviews. See you on facebook and email. I learnt a lot Indonesian here. Now that I go back to Jakarta, I can talk more Indonesian than two weeks ago. I also learnt to smile when I see another woman at street. Women usually smile to each other in Padang. Nice. No matter whether you have scarf or not. Unity in diversity.

1 kommentti: